Thursday, October 17, 2013

"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." - Rigan Machado

Today was a rest day from the gym, one that comes only once a week. I felt like I physically really needed today to rest and recover. For breakfast I had just a protein shake with milk this time and the usual concoction of supplements. Though the day might have been physically restful, mentally it was far from it. My clothes and other belongings arrived by Canada post in my suitcase today; however when I went to pick them up from the post office they told me I had to pay $260 duty. I felt this was unnecessary because I already paid $200 to ship it when I was in Japan and also the fact that all the clothes are my personal belongings and not merchandise. I spent a good hour calling Canada post customer service then another hour calling Canadian customs. Long story short, I told them to send the stuff back to Canada customs for a reevaluation of the duty costs.

Due to this whole Canada post ordeal I had to to settle for a late lunch, the only healthy option close to the post office was Subway. I had a 2 six inch subs, one Italian BMT on flat bread and one turkey breast on honey oat bread. After coming home I had little time to rest as I had to get ready for Judo practice. Traffic was really bad and it took more than an hour to get to the practice, I slept during the ride there (bad idea) and woke up very groggy for practice.

First part of practice I had a difficult time getting in to the mindset and felt burnout, we did lots of gripping, movement and attack drills. Second part of practice was "newaza", ground work, at this point my focus came back to me. Rolling at judo feels like the complete opposite of rolling at BJJ, everyone at judo tries to avoid too much flow and stand up often as a way to escape; on the other hand at BJJ there is a lot of flow and everyone tries to pull guard or just sit down as much as they can. During the rolls at practice today I worked a lot of the stuff I have been picking up at BJJ; working from the bottom, butterfly guard, escapes from chokes, triangles...etc. Compared to the training partners at BJJ, my training partners at judo feel really easy to go against on the ground hence the title of today's post. Recently I have been trying to improve my bottom game and constantly start sitting for the newaza rounds rather than on my knees or crouching. I think starting from next practice I will start to work my top game exclusively to get prepared for Quebec Open and to get in to the tournament mindset. Today's practice was concluded with wheel barrels and rope climbs for five sets. I think all the time on the rope machine at the gym is paying off as it was a breeze climbing the rope today. It feels good when you see the fruits of training appear.  

Some final thoughts, I need to work on more gripping and movement, also work more on butterfly sweep. In addition to that recently I have been thinking of my shoulder throw technique (ippon seoi nage), preferably I would like to do the entry like I used to do when I was younger; drop on my knees and go deep underneath the uke going under and even past their legs. 

Here is one of my BJJ heroes, Marcelo Garcia, showing butterfly sweeps!
This video shows the throw that I've been thinking about recently IPPON SEOI NAGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment