Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Flow with the Go and Learn on the Go!

Once again I had trouble going to sleep last night, knee was throbbing and also the cleansing tea was doing its work. I woke up late drank a protein shake and took fish oil, multivitamin, tumeric and BCAAs and headed straight to the gym. Today was back day. Here's what I did:

Warm up
5 min on the row machine
Dead-lift
60 kg x 10
70 kg x 10
80 kg x 10
90kg x 10
(100kg x 6) x 3
110kg x 3
Pull ups (super set with dead-lift)
30 reps
20reps
(10 reps) x 6
Shrugs
(70 kg x 15) x 3
Judo style bicep curl (superset with shrugs)
(25 lbs x 10) x 3
Pull down
70 lbs x 10
90 lbs x 10
110 lbs x 10
130 lbs x 10
(150 lbs x 10) x 3
Seated Row
(140 lbs x 10) x 3
Single leg bosu balance
1 minute per leg alternating
Rope machine
Level 6 x 20 min

After the gym I took BCAAs and went straight to get a late lunch. For lunch I ate a small bowl of vegetarian chili. To be honest it tasted like just tomato sauce with assorted veggies mixed in; nonetheless I needed some nutrients after a hard workout. After lunch I took the bus home and got my stuff ready to go for No-gi BJJ training.

Today's training consisted of a short warm up (running, jumping jacks, sprawls, rolls, and situps) and 4 long rounds of rolling. During the first roll I got over excited and tried a kimura while in the opponents guard and as a consequence I got caught in an arm bar. Second roll I went with Pavel (a blue belt) and again I went in over confident and he caught me once in a triangle as I let my guard down; however I was able to submit him 6-7 times with triangles, north south chokes and arm bars. The third roll, I went against "the Spainiard"; I enjoy rolling with him because he always teaches me fundamentals as we roll. The last time we rolled he taught me to always keep my feet inside to avoid the ankle lock. Today he showed me how to escape from back control when the person has one hook in. The last roll, I went with "the Immigrant", I also really enjoy rolling with him because he's so fluid and technical. I felt like there was a lot of flow when I rolled with him; I attempted many leg attacks and managed to pull of some sweeps. He also taught me how to break someone's guard; arms in the uke's armpits, back up and stand up, then raise your knee and sit down.

After practice I got home and realized I forgot my key; Daniel and dad were still at judo practice so I had to wait at Tim Hortons. While at Tim Hortons, I watched some you tube videos, something that peaked my interest was Craig Fallon (UK Top 60 kg Judoka) showing tomoe nage and also Kashiwazaki-sensei showing tomoe nage with a transition to juji-gatame. I think these two throw variations will be my goal to learn by the new year.


*Here's the technique being pulled off by one of my favourite competitors, Flavio Canto, in competition*

Final thoughts for the day: the knee and shoulder felt healthier today, feeling physically stronger (maybe from the rope machine workouts) and mentally I feel motivated.

Note* Haven't learned all the names of the guys at BJJ practice yet so I've given them nicknames. Sorry...


No comments:

Post a Comment