Friday, October 18, 2013

Battle with Deigo Sanchez

This morning for breakfast I had a protein shake and the usual supplements (fish oil, multi-vitamin, tumeric, BCAAs). In the morning the sauna was finally getting built in our basement, so I had to spend the morning explaining to the workers how to build it via the internet pictures and instructions. After explaining everything and making sure they knew what to do, I went for a late lunch at Tim Hortons. Today is my cheat day for my diet but I decided I was going to save the good meal for dinner; for lunch I had chili with some Gatorade. Afterwards I headed to the gym.

The focus of the workout in the gym was on chest and arms. Here's today's workout:

Warm up
5 min on the bike
Bench Press
60 kg x 10
70 kg x 10
75 kg x 6
75 kg x 6
(80 kg x 5) x 3
60 kg x 10
90 kg x 3
60 kg x 10
Dumbbell Flies (super set with bench press)
(30 lbs x 10) x 3
Shoulder circuit (super set with bench press)
(10 lbs x 10) x 3
Incline bench press
45 kg x 10
(50 kg x 10)
50 kg x 9
Low front squat
(60 kg) x 5, x 6,  x 7, x 8, x 9, x 10
Weighted Dips
45 lbs x 10
(75 lbs x 7) x 3
Weighted Pull ups
(45 lbs x 10) x 3
Tricep Pull down
(Random weight x 10) x 3
One arm pull down
(Light weight x 10) x 3 x per each arm
Sit ups
50 x 3
Plank
30 sec x 3

After the workout I went to Shoppers Drug Mart for some shopping because it was 20% off 50 dollars today. Anticipating the need to probably cut some weight in the hotel in Quebec I bought two 4 kg  containers of Epsom salts and three 1 litre containers of pedialyte (for re-hydration).

For dinner, as it was cheat day, I ate 1 slice of pizza and headed out to practice.

Today I went to Hamilton to train at Kawasaki's. Warm up was push ups, sit-ups and stretches. After warm up we did moving uchikomi. After that it became free practice. I partnered up with Diego Sanchez, not the UFC fighter! A 60 kg competitor representing Ontario, originally from Columbia. I practiced the Tomoe to Juji-gatame as seen in the Kashiwazaki video and drop seio nage as well as deep uchimata. Afterwards we did moving uchikomi to crash mat throws. Then randori began, we were the first ones to start randori and the last ones to finish. It was pretty good back and forth battle. I've had the pleasure to fight Deigo in a couple of tournaments so I had some knowledge of how he like to fight and he probably also knew how I like to fight. I tried to attack as much as I possibly could; the battle lasted an hour. Things that worked today during the randori were tai-otoshi, kosoto-gaki, and kouchi; things that I need to work on is a deeper step in for uchimata and straightening my leg, and more commitment to the turn in on moves such as harai and uki goshi. After practice me and Deigo stayed behind and did some no gi grappling. I really enjoyed training today, it was good to finally have control of my training as opposed to following Pedro's routine.

Final thoughts for the day: Need more practice with the deep drop seoi nage, practice keeping leg straight while doing uchimata, and keep practicing the tomoe to arm bar.

This is the UFC fighter Diego Sanchez

This is the judo fighter Diego Sanchez

No comments:

Post a Comment